Wikileaks is releasing releasing emails and other internal communications leaked from the intelligence contracting company Stratfor. The material is still being processed by Wikileaks and various media agencies. There is a ton of material, but one particular document appears to be an internal glossary of intelligence terms. Some of it is rather blunt and paints various agencies and perhaps the entire intelligence community in a rather damaging light. These are just a few terms that jumped out at me.
- CIA:Central Intelligence Agency. Also called “Langley” or “up river.” Owns human intelligence (directorate of operations) and analysis (directorate of intelligence). Director, CIA is supposed to oversee all of the intelligence community. Isn’t that a joke? Imagine the Post Office with a foreign policy.
- Duplicitous little bastards: Israeli intelligence
- JTTF: Joint Terrorism Task Force, an inter-agency group created to completely confuse all conceivable issues related to terrorism in a variety of metropolitan areas.
- Leasing a source: Going to another organization to borrow a source. Payment is in cash or swapping spit.
- NSA: National Security Agency. Also called The Fort. Owns Sigint and Elint. Completely out of control. It is so compartmentalized they refer to other offices as B1 or D8 and genuinely don’t know what anyone else does.
- Passive Intelligence: Intelligence that flows into you on its own. It’s usually cheap and it is highly secure, in the sense that no one knows that you are looking at them. In recent years, the internet has vastly increased the ability to do passive intelligence. The flow of passive material decreases the cost of intelligence and increases the time for analysis. Problem-the same intelligence is available to everyone. Stratfor’s strength is efficient gathering of passive intelligence, rapid patterning, superb analysis. Or so we tell our customers. Better to have a few sources in your pocket as well.
- Swapping Spit: Making a deal for information. I’ll give you intel in Venezuela if you lend me your sources in Nigeria. Let’s swap spit.
Quite eye-opening if it is authentic. I will be interested to see the analysis in the coming weeks.
EDIT: Apparently some of the documents indicate that Osama bin Laden was in routine contact with Pakistan’s spy agency. Link.